background

Thursday, September 19, 2013

29 Faces - Face #6

This face came out of nowhere!  I was prepping another page to do something I had planned out in my head and found I had a bit of extra gesso on the card I was using to spread it with.  I flipped open my journal and it landed on a page...a really ugly page covered in streaky Payne's grey.  I set it aside to dry as I worked on my "planned" page.  While the planned page was drying I returned to the ugly page...and was totally amazed to see parts of a face...an eye...jawline...shape of a head.  I quickly sketched out what I saw, filling in the details.  Then I grabbed my long neglected Pan Pastels to add some shading. 

I love that some of the streakiness of the original ugly page is still visible through the gesso and Pan Pastels.  For some reason, this is one of my favourite faces I've ever done.

Now I guess I'd better get to work on the "planned" page!



3 comments:

  1. There is something in each page just waiting to come out. You just have to be flexible enough to let it show through. I like your face and I really don't know why. That must mean you did a great over all job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I don't think the photo does it justice to show all of the texture and shading...and I agree, I like the face and don't really know why :)

      Delete
  2. I always think it's wonderful how faces seem to jump out of a background and say 'paint me, paint me', and you have made such an interesting face with real personality. I agree with you, these are the paintings that we love all others when they invite themselves into our lives.

    ReplyDelete